The CPE consists of 5 sections:
- Reading – 4 parts, 90 minutes
- part 1, 3 texts with 18 gaps
- part 2, 4 related texts with 2 questions each
- part 3, text with missing paragraphs
- part 4, text with multiple choice questions
- Composition – 2 tasks, 2 hours
- Use of English – 90 minutes
- part 1: text with 15 gaps
- part 2: word formation
- part 3: gapped sentences
- Listening – 3 or 4 recordings, 40 minutes
- part 1: 4 passages with multiple choice questions
- part 2: 1 long passage with gapped text
- Speaking: interview, normally with another candidate, lasting approximately 15 minutes
You now have the opportunity to choose whether you want to do the CPE on paper or on a computer – you will have to check to see whether your nearest test centre offers the requisite facilities.
The CPE examination is offered four times a year: in March, May, June, August and December for the paper-based test, and February, April, July, August and November for the computer-based test. The results are generally available about two weeks after the test date. The grades of the CPE are from A to U, a pass generally considered anything between C an A; anything below is considered a fail.
At AGF Tutoring, we have extremely well-qualified linguists and English language tutors with years of experience who are very capable of preparing you for the CPE in the minimum possible time whilst ensuring the highest possible results. If you are interested in commencing online tutorials for the CPE please register here or book your free introductory session.